Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding pocket knife carry on school property ?

Folding pocket knife carry on school property ?

Hey Friends.
    I am going over the Fl. statutes. Am I reading it right ? that you can carry a common pocket knife on school property but prohibited from displaying it ?
    I would rather carry a gun, instead of a big stick !!

Type of school? College, private college, public university?

I carry my automatic pocket knives at work (private university) even though by the HR rules, I'm not supposed to. But then again, I also carried them there when I was a student there too and it was against the student policy.
    Stainless Kimber Ultra Carry II .45acp
    S&W full size M&P9

NRA Member
    CWFL

"The practical measures that we take are always based on the assumption that our enemies are not unintelligent." - Achidamus II, King of Sparta

"Verily, thou are not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you." - The Ninth Commandment from Richard Marcinko's book Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior

My understanding is this: Common pocketknife with permit, yes. Student with pocketknife, NO, due to most schools having a zero tolerance policy when it comes to weapons.
    I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV. Any statement I may make is my opinion only and should not be construed as legal advice. If you are seeking legal advice, seek the counsel of a competent attorney.

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    790.01 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(13) "Weapon" means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.

790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.—

(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

i'll leave it up for interpretation...i carry a piece of doweling on school property...along with my cane occasionally...in case i run into a kid who needs help with a wood shop project....
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

Banned
    Under Florida law a common pocket knife is not a weapon, in Florida the basic rule of thumb is that any folding knife with a blade less than 4" that is commonly encountered in the population is a common pocket knife.

SGB is correct, and to go further, you absolutely have to know the school-specific policy if that is a concern to you; there is no blanket statement. Some schools do, and some don't, and it may or may not matter to you.

If I understand the question, you are asking what the law is, not school policy. The law is that you can carry a knife. Student-no. Adult-yes.
    My son has taught at public schools, carried a knife, and administration knew it. Just asked him to not have it visible to students. Some schools may have different policies, but not the law. It would not matter whether they are public or private schools.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by MiklColt45 View Post
    If I understand the question, you are asking what the law is, not school policy. The law is that you can carry a knife. Student-no. Adult-yes.
    My son has taught at public schools, carried a knife, and administration knew it. Just asked him to not have it visible to students. Some schools may have different policies, but not the law. It would not matter whether they are public or private schools.
    I take it, from the person asking, that it concerns an adult student.

I carry my knife everywhere I go, which happens to be school about 50% of the time these days.
    Art Student

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Under Florida law a common pocket knife is not a weapon, in Florida the basic rule of thumb is that any folding knife with a blade less than 4" that is commonly encountered in the population is a common pocket knife.
    Thanks this answers my question. How about at the airport.
    I would rather carry a gun, instead of a big stick !!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smooddood View Post
    Thanks this answers my question. How about at the airport.
    No State prohibition on knife carry in the unsecured area at airports. But knife possession has not been preempted by the State, so a locality may have an ordinance against it, but I'm not aware of any that do.

Can't take into the secure area or on a plane, obviously.

I am not a lawyer!
    My opinion/comments are strictly that: My own, well researched, opinions.
    If anyone needs legal advise, please seek out a qualified attorney.
    Do not rely on my, or anyone Else's, opinions to keep you out of legal trouble.

Sposors