Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .380 / 9mm... why?... like s 9mm singler stack... recommendations?

Just to further the question and because the OP mentions a Makarov.
    What about the 9x18?

9mm Luger = 9x19
    9mm Mak = 9x18
    .380 = 9x17 or .380 Auto, .380 Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz or 9mm Short
    This post was made with 100% recycled electrons.
    Molon Labe

Distinguished Member PoliSciGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    Just to further the question and because the OP mentions a Makarov.
    What about the 9x18?

9mm Luger = 9x19
    9mm Mak = 9x18
    .380 = 9x17 or .380 Auto, .380 Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz or 9mm Short
    IMHO, the 9x18 Makarov is a compromise. The Makarov pistol, while being well known for its reliability, is also well known for its inexpensiveness. It is a reliable, small-ish, pistol. However, for more money, you could get a similar sized (maybe even smaller), reliable 9x19 pistol. Or, you could go with the .380 and get an even smaller pistol. Currently, I do believe that there are more premium SD loadings in .380 than 9x18, therefore there would probably not be too many differences, ballisticly, between a premium .380 and the 9x18.

Therefore, I think the only advantage the 9x18 has going for it is the ability to get a decent, reliable, pistol in that chambering for very little money (used, or course). Just MHO and I could be wrong, because I am definitely no expert on the 9x18 or the Makarov pistol. I do know someone that has one, I shot it, it was reliable and accurate enough, but I would much prefer any of my small 9x19 or even .380s than that.
    I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV. Anything I state is my opinion only and is not meant to be any type of true legal advice. If you need legal advice, seek a lawyer, that's what they get paid to do.

Depending on how I dress (or feel at the moment ) I carry an old aster .380 (was my Moms) or a pa63 1n 9x18 0r a Star in 9x19.The .380 is easy to carry iwb without a belt, the 9x18 is a bit heavier but still easy to conceal.it has a Lot more power than a 380. the 9x19 has to have a belt and is not as easy to conceal but has more power. I have as much trust in the9x18 as the luger to stop someone. while it does not have the same power, I feel it is sufficient. Other wise I would carry a .45,( as someone said ,) why shoot twice.....
    I carry cause I'm too old to run !

To preserve liberty,it is essential that the whole of the people always possess arms and be taught alike,especially when young,how to use them.

Richard Henry Lee .
    American Statesman,1778.

Nobody's mentioned it, but another big reason for the .380 is that you can use it in a reasonably light fixed-barrel (recoil) gun. There's a reason that nobody chambers, for example, a Bersa-type PPK knockoff in 9mm.

The concealable, fixed-barrel guns would be unmanageable in 9mm... they would have to have more mass in the slide to tame the recoil. Chamber a PPK in 9mm and shoot some +p rounds from it, and you'd have something that kicked harder than a PF9 and weighed twice as much.

I think that there's a misconception that the .380 kicks almost as hard as full-power 9mm because of the guns that people use it in. Everybody shoots a p3AT, a Bersa .380, and then a Glock 26. Think about it... the Keltec is drop-barrel, but weighs approximately 1/3 of a loaded G26, and the Bersa is a fixed-barrel. Shoot a Walther PK380 (looks like a P22, but has drop-barrel) next to a sub-20 oz 9mm, and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not a big .380 fan (frankly, I tend to prefer .32 if I have to carry a mousegun), but those are a couple of the reasons that the .380 is still a useful, common round.

I personally am a fan of the Walther PPS 9mm.
    It is extemely thin and concealable. The slide rail is full length on one side giving it incredible accuracy.
    I don't like the fact that the sights it comes with don't glow at all (but they can be switched out).
    It is on the higher side of price, but so far for me it has also proven to be EXTREMELY reliable.

How does it compare to the SR9c? I've shot both... My brother in law has the Ruger. It is a nice carry weapon as well, it is also quite a bit thicker.
    Accuracy was close but not quite as on with the SR9C when compared to the PPS
    Trigger pull is much different as the PPS is a DA only where the SR9C has a spur and can be DA/SA
    The SR9C is a double stack, not a single stack as was previously mentioned.

I often will choose pocket carry with the PPS and it does it nicely with deeper pockets.
    LCP? I have't shot it, but it just didn't feel right, the trigger is very long as mentioned before...
    Ammo is also quite expensive when you go 380...

Quote Originally Posted by MPDC66 View Post
    I like this one..............Ruger SR9c

http://ruger.com/products/sr9c/specSheets/3314.html

Of course, IF you can deal with a bit more weight and double stack with high capacity, the Springfield XDSC9 is the one I like best.
    We can't seem to keep these in stock. They are very popular, feel very good in the hand and are proving to be as reliable as the Ruger P series have been for decades.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    IMHO, the 9x18 Makarov is a compromise. The Makarov pistol, while being well known for its reliability, is also well known for its inexpensiveness. It is a reliable, small-ish, pistol. However, for more money, you could get a similar sized (maybe even smaller), reliable 9x19 pistol. Or, you could go with the .380 and get an even smaller pistol. Currently, I do believe that there are more premium SD loadings in .380 than 9x18, therefore there would probably not be too many differences, ballisticly, between a premium .380 and the 9x18.

Therefore, I think the only advantage the 9x18 has going for it is the ability to get a decent, reliable, pistol in that chambering for very little money (used, or course). Just MHO and I could be wrong, because I am definitely no expert on the 9x18 or the Makarov pistol. I do know someone that has one, I shot it, it was reliable and accurate enough, but I would much prefer any of my small 9x19 or even .380s than that.
    I wouldn't carry a Mak for the sole reason the trigger pulls on these guns are horendously heavy. The trigger also stacks which is not condicive to shooting accurately with any real speed.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Distinguished Member PoliSciGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I wouldn't carry a Mak for the sole reason the trigger pulls on these guns are horendously heavy. The trigger also stacks which is not condicive to shooting accurately with any real speed.
    Brownie, I agree that the Makarov is not a great pistol, especially when there are so many other options available. I was not advocating the purchase of one, I was just humoring the poster that brought it up. I was trying to find the few silver linings possible to that pistol and cartridge. Like I posted, I have a friend that owns one, and I fired it, but I was not overly impressed. Maybe 30-40 years ago, it would've been different, but there's so many more options available these days. Now if all one has is $100 to spend, then there are fewer options...

Now my friend that has one, he used to use it as his EDC, but I convinced him he needed something better, so he ended up upgrading to a Springfield XD .40, and uses the Mak as a BUG...
    I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV. Anything I state is my opinion only and is not meant to be any type of true legal advice. If you need legal advice, seek a lawyer, that's what they get paid to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post

Why does the .380 exist at all? I mean, the difference in frame size is so close that it seems like the same gun could simply be built for 9mm,
    .380 exists because those pistols are considerably smaller than 9mm. pistols.
    I thought I had the ideal carry gun in the Kahr PM-9, until I discovered the Sig 238. Even though the difference in measurements are slight (1/2" here and there) the feel in your hand is much smaller. It's a real pocket gun, and I haven't found one in 9mm that small. (Yeah, I know about the Rohrbaugh and it's small, but it's too expensive and a pain to shoot. IMO.)

Love it or hate it, the LCP changed carry forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsteve View Post
    I've been eyeballing this pistol for some time now, and I wish I knew somebody that owned one, so I could ask them if I could shoot it. Most owner reviews, on other forums, seem to be favorable to it.
    Steve,

Just got mine today....Let me know if you want to meet up somewhere and give it a shot!

Sposors