Florida Concealed Carry banner

Gun In Car????

37K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Hrolfr 
#1 ·
I am very very confused. My fiancee and I are purchasing a handgun and are going to take the class to get our concealed permits. In the meantime, my question is this: are we or arent we allowed to keep the handgun loaded with us in the car until we get our permits? We live in a high crime neighborhood and would like to have piece of mind by keeping our weapon with us. Is it legal to keep it in the car even without already having our permits?

#2 ·
Yes, you can, provided that it's "securely encased" and not immediately accessible. In the glove box, locked or unlocked, meets the requirement. In a closed gun case or snapped holster likewise. On the seat beside you or on your person does not meet the requirement.

#3 ·
Florida Statutes 790.25(5)
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

#4 ·
If you have a center console that can be closed would be an ideal form of car carry. It is easily within reach without taking your eye off a potential threat and it is perfectly legal. Good luck.

#9 ·
Console clip

Deadeye

Where did you get that clip you installed on your console lid?

Thanks
Rod

#17 ·
Deadeye

Where did you get that clip you installed on your console lid?

Thanks
Rod
XD-Man said:
If I'm not mistaken, it's probably the holster that came with the gun. I know with my XD-40, the included holster makes a good clip for your vehicle, especially since I don't use it as a holster.
I do believe it is a Fobus holster, or at least part of one

#10 ·
If I'm not mistaken, it's probably the holster that came with the gun. I know with my XD-40, the included holster makes a good clip for your vehicle, especially since I don't use it as a holster.

#11 ·
Just don't leave it in your car. Your pistol is not secure in a parked/locked vehicle. In your garage - maybe.

I kept mine in a thin holster in the center console box. Then in the evenings, I'd just take it in with me along with my coffee cup. Nobody really noticed.

#14 ·
You may be right, but I wouldn't want to be the guy that finds out:

Emphasis mine:
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
(without a permit...)
I'm no lawyer, but it looks to me like it has to be concealed and securely encased.
So I would not lay it on the passenger seat with a snap holster...
Keep it in the center consol or glove box.

#15 ·
Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.

I'm interested in the phrase "other than a handgun" in the above. Does that mean that the right to carry in a private conveyance does not include handguns? If it doesn't mean that, then what does it mean?

#20 ·
Its not required that you inform the LEO that you are armed, If you have a License hand it to him with your drivers license,or if you don't have one just make sure it is securely encased before you tell him/her you have a loaded weapon inside your vehicle or just don't say anything you are ok anyway you go ,but i bet the cop will be more appreciative to know instead of not knowing and forcing you to the ground when they find out.

#21 ·
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

1(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.

#22 ·
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

1(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.
Its not required like some states for you to volunteer the infomation only as highlighted above.

#24 ·
It must be securely incased put it in a holster with a snap or zippered gun rug..... something..... it isn't a good Ideal to have a handgun just bouncing around the car under your seat.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.