Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun In Car????

Exclamation Gun In Car????

I am very very confused. My fiancee and I are purchasing a handgun and are going to take the class to get our concealed permits. In the meantime, my question is this: are we or arent we allowed to keep the handgun loaded with us in the car until we get our permits? We live in a high crime neighborhood and would like to have piece of mind by keeping our weapon with us. Is it legal to keep it in the car even without already having our permits?

Yes, you can, provided that it's "securely encased" and not immediately accessible. In the glove box, locked or unlocked, meets the requirement. In a closed gun case or snapped holster likewise. On the seat beside you or on your person does not meet the requirement.
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Florida Statutes 790.25(5)
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    John
    NRA Endowment Member

If you have a center console that can be closed would be an ideal form of car carry. It is easily within reach without taking your eye off a potential threat and it is perfectly legal. Good luck.
    NRA Member

You have to have the conviction to see it through to the end, good, bad or ugly. Once it starts you are IN IT and need to stay focused.
    Posted by Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    On the seat beside you or on your person does not meet the requirement.
    To clarify...It can be on the seat as long as its in the case or snapped holster.
    Semper Fi!
    0331 Machinegunner: Accuracy by Volume
    NRA Life Member

Before my CWL I would either keep it in the glovebox or in the center console next to me.

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    In addition to the gun on my person, I keep one in the center console of my truck...

"It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyedick View Post
    In addition to the gun on my person, I keep one in the center console of my truck...
    Deadeyedick... Nice set up you have there, been wanting to set something up like that in my truck as well.
    Semper Fi!
    0331 Machinegunner: Accuracy by Volume
    NRA Life Member

Console clip

Deadeye

Where did you get that clip you installed on your console lid?

Thanks
    Rod
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

If I'm not mistaken, it's probably the holster that came with the gun. I know with my XD-40, the included holster makes a good clip for your vehicle, especially since I don't use it as a holster.
    -= XD-Man =-
    Liberals are like Slinkies...they're not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sposors