Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best holsters for IWB appendix carry?

I carry a G26 in a Minotaur Neutral (Appendix Carry) Cant Holster at about 1 - 2 o'clock. I find it comfortable, easy to obtain a firing grip and draw from and it does a good job of concealment.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."
    -Bertrand Russell

One added bit of advice. IF you buy a holster that fits more than one bbl. length of a model of weapon, be aware it will probably be longer and therefore less comfortable than necessary IF you have a short bbl'd version like an XDSC or G26. It will be about an inch longer than you need so going with a subcompact specific holster for appendix carry makes lots of sense.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f---with me, I'll kill you all."
    Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

COTEP #744

A lot of these seem like they've got more mass than I might be comfortable with. What I'm currently carrying in is a plain Ace's "universal hide-a-holster". It's small, it's plain, my 1911 fits well in it, and it doesn't have any unnecessary mass extending down into my pants (just enough to cover trigger, trigger guard, and mag release. Would be pointless touting the slimness of the 1911 if it had a bunch of bulk added around the barrel end of the slide because of a holster). My only gripes are the lack of a "slide guard" and its inability to cant much. If I could get myself a holster similar to this cheap little thing with those two things included, I'd be set.
    Art Student

Quote Originally Posted by shooter4 View Post
    im still sticking with BladeTech IDPA approved IWB with tabs..........solid dependable affordable.........
    +1......best I have found, always works.
    "Theory is great….until reality kicks it in the arse!"
    "There is no problem so great that a well placed .308 will not cure""
    http://www.floridafirearmstraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Standby View Post
    +1......best I have found, always works.
    carried my Steyr M9 last nite to dinner appendix 11:00 left handed, no kant......worked great.............
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Quote Originally Posted by palerider1775 View Post
    I'm looking into purchasing a new IWB holster that I can position up front for appendix carry. What I have now serves its purpose well enough, but at the price I got it for, it's left me wondering if there's something better I could move up to.

My concealment pistol is a full sized 1911. I know (from an older poll) that appendix carry isn't too popular here, but it's my chosen route so I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    Appendix carry is fine, even with a 5" 1911. Sitting down and being comfortable, is another feat! A Crossbreed Holster will work for you: Supertuck IWB but they also sell a OWB holster that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Domin8 View Post
    I carry a G26 in a Minotaur Neutral (Appendix Carry) Cant Holster at about 1 - 2 o'clock. I find it comfortable, easy to obtain a firing grip and draw from and it does a good job of concealment.
    +1 on the Minotaur Neutral Cant. Due to my right arm restrictions, this is the only option for me. However, now that I've experienced it for awhile, I would continue to carry in this manner through choice. However, as mentioned before, probably best for barrels less than 4" or so, as sitting would be very uncomfortable with a longer barrel (at least for me).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holster 011.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	5166
    NRA

Honestly, a lot of these are too bulky to wear with the style of pants that I wear (no, they're not skinny jeans! You wouldn't catch me dead in those things, and if you did, you'd find that they were the cause of death). From the waist to the bottom of the crotch on my jeans is about 8.5 inches, compared to about 12.5 inches from waist to bottom of crotch in the cut that I used to wear (I need to donate these things. I've had a bunch of them sitting in a bag for years).

The thing with a lot of the suggested holsters is that they would add unnecessary bulk around the nice, slim 1911, defeating my whole reason for having chosen it as my carry piece. They would also make it pretty damn uncomfortable for my junk when sitting down. The way I have it now, my 1911 ends up resting just inbetween my junk and my thigh (works well if you sit like a man).

If anyone knows of a holster similar to this one, that allows the slide and barrel to hang freely past the trigger guard, and has a "slide guard", then please lemme know.
    Art Student

Quote Originally Posted by palerider1775 View Post
    Honestly, a lot of these are too bulky to wear with the style of pants that I wear (no, they're not skinny jeans! You wouldn't catch me dead in those things, and if you did, you'd find that they were the cause of death). From the waist to the bottom of the crotch on my jeans is about 8.5 inches, compared to about 12.5 inches from waist to bottom of crotch in the cut that I used to wear (I need to donate these things. I've had a bunch of them sitting in a bag for years).

The thing with a lot of the suggested holsters is that they would add unnecessary bulk around the nice, slim 1911, defeating my whole reason for having chosen it as my carry piece. They would also make it pretty damn uncomfortable for my junk when sitting down. The way I have it now, my 1911 ends up resting just inbetween my junk and my thigh (works well if you sit like a man).

If anyone knows of a holster similar to this one, that allows the slide and barrel to hang freely past the trigger guard, and has a "slide guard", then please lemme know.
    Well i wonder how successful you are going to be with a full size 1911........? i wouldnt agree with your assertion that appendix isnt popular here..............
    Well try the NANO BladeTech holster, thinner material that you can wear appendix or Dale Fricke appendix from Suarez international...........Fist also makes a thin holster...there was another holster i was just reading about that was supposed to be an awesome appendix carry........ Garrity's Gunleather In-Victus AIWB ........this one has gotten rave reviews on "Get off the X forum" .....a better solution might be a smaller 1911 compact carry or Sig Revolution carry.............
    Last edited by shooter4; 08-05-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

I am currently successful with my full sized 1911. My close friends who know I carry aren't ever sure that I'm carrying unless they ask me out of curiosity, and exercise a high percentage of carry (But, I'm in school about 50% of the time that I am out of the house, so...). I simply wanted to know if there was a "better" holster that fits my philosophy of carry.

Here, I'll visualize this to get my point across better. As an example, I'll use that Nano IWB holster. That holster would be much more agreeable, to me, if they took this much off of it;

That extra mass is completely useless to me. Does that make sense?
    Art Student

Sposors