Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best holsters for IWB appendix carry?

Question Best holsters for Appendix IWB carry?

I'm looking into purchasing a new IWB holster that I can position up front for appendix carry. What I have now serves its purpose well enough, but at the price I got it for, it's left me wondering if there's something better I could move up to.

My concealment pistol is a full sized 1911. I know (from an older poll) that appendix carry isn't too popular here, but it's my chosen route so I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by palerider1775; 08-01-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: re-titled
    Art Student

MTAC Minotaur works for appendix carry if you adjust it to zero cant. Problem with more cant is the gun sits too low, hindering the draw.

Personally, anything over a 3" bbl is near impossible to appendix carry for me. I only do it when I'm driving then I usually appendix carry my XDSC in the Minotaur with the XDM in a shoulder holster. Since I travel between NC and Fl. pretty frequently, the long ride has me in the habit of never leaving a weapon in the car unless its just too hot for the shoulder holster. Unusual since I can wear it over a t shirt with a loose shirt over the top.

You might also try a leather rig from the holster store dot com. Pretty high quality for the money and you can get it with a slide guard. The length of the bbl is, however, the limiting factor for me on these.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f---with me, I'll kill you all."
    Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

COTEP #744

Quote Originally Posted by MPDC66 View Post
    MTAC Minotaur works for appendix carry if you adjust it to zero cant. Problem with more cant is the gun sits too low, hindering the draw.

Personally, anything over a 3" bbl is near impossible to appendix carry for me. I only do it when I'm driving then I usually appendix carry my XDSC in the Minotaur with the XDM in a shoulder holster. Since I travel between NC and Fl. pretty frequently, the long ride has me in the habit of never leaving a weapon in the car unless its just too hot for the shoulder holster. Unusual since I can wear it over a t shirt with a loose shirt over the top.

You might also try a leather rig from the holster store dot com. Pretty high quality for the money and you can get it with a slide guard. The length of the bbl is, however, the limiting factor for me on these.
    I limit appendix carry to 4" guns, and I use that mode quite often. My DonHume 715s have served me well over the years, but my favorite, by far is LittleBear's Aegis Calypto.

Shown here with my (former) G27:

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by MPDC66 View Post

I'll check 'em out. Thanks. What's a "slide guard", by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Rvrctyrngr View Post
    I limit appendix carry to 4" guns, and I use that mode quite often. My DonHume 715s have served me well over the years, but my favorite, by far is LittleBear's Aegis Calypto.

Shown here with my (former) G27:

Littlebear is custom made stuff, correct? How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?
    Art Student

If you look in the shadow of RCR's Little Bear holster, that's the slide guard. Look just over the top of the slide there. It covers the slide so the knerling and grips of the slide isn't rubbing the skin/holes in the t-shirt.

Some like'em and some don't.

Kev
    Stainless Kimber Ultra Carry II .45acp
    S&W full size M&P9

NRA Member
    CWFL

"The practical measures that we take are always based on the assumption that our enemies are not unintelligent." - Achidamus II, King of Sparta

"Verily, thou are not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you." - The Ninth Commandment from Richard Marcinko's book Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior

Last edited by K-Man; 07-29-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

"May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams."

The slide guard is the back portion of the holster that goes up the slide/frame, but allowing full grip, so the wearer doesn't get bite or sweat all over it. Mine are to order where some are "standard" size.
    A 5" is a difficult, for most people, pistol to carry appendix. Not impossible because everyone is different. Tucker, Garrett Industries, I wanna say Mitch Rosen and quite a few others make one. Some kydex some not. Warning w/ kydex in that position, it doesn't give. I have one from Garrett that I wear strong, crossdraw, sob and appendix... it isn't fun up front at the 1 oclock because it doesn't give.
    One thing, you don't want the clip running down the middle of the slide, in my meager opinion, because it will make the holster that much wider. If there is no choice, make sure the clip is adjustable.
    There isn't anything wrong with appendix carry. ALOT of my cop friends in WA wear it; especially after they went to a class from Front Sight in Yakima. It is fast and it is easy to guard, so to speak.
    I have built some from Ruger LCP's to full size CZ 75's. The holster has to be cut right for the wearer or it won't be pretty and can be painful?

Good luck and if you can't find anyone to help you and my stuff doesn't fit your bill, drop me a PM and I will help you find a maker who can.

V/R
    Just Dave
    Owner
    Little Bear Custom Holsters
    Sales@littlebearholsters.com

im still sticking with BladeTech IDPA approved IWB with tabs..........solid dependable affordable.........
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Quote Originally Posted by palerider1775 View Post
    I'll check 'em out. Thanks. What's a "slide guard", by the way?

Littlebear is custom made stuff, correct? How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?
    'Slideguard/Shirtguard' is the piece of leather up the back of the holster that prevents the gun from rubbing your clothing/skin. Inhibits my draw stroke, so I don't want them on my rigs. Others like them just fine.

Yup. All rigs made to order. The basic rig is $60. Start adding exotic trims and 'personal adjustments', and it goes up from there. Still very reasonable for a truly custom rig.

That is not mine in the pic...that's from the LittleBear website...that's just my gun in the pic (well, it WAS my gun! ).

Mine is one of the original prototypes that we designed together for my specific needs (I have some physical issues that preclude most off the shelf products). I pay a little bit more than advertised price due to Dave's considerable time and extra effort to meet my rather esoteric needs.

HTH,
    RCR
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

OOOOOO the appendix part just slipped by me......I would take a Dale Fricke from Suarez
    http://www.onesourcetactical.com/arc...waistband.aspx but i would also carry the Blade Tech appendix too
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Sposors