Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife laws in Florida

Knife laws in Florida

Can somebody translate the knife laws in florida? I have seen charts of how long, folder or auto, and all this others stuff, but here is my questions:

How long (folded or open)?

Auto or folder?

Does having a concealed carry permit change anything?

Thanks,

Kevin

Distinguished Member
    You can buy and own an auto knife or butterfly knife, but you can't carry it without a CWFL. You can't own anything that actually shoots the blade out, where the blade physically separates from the handle.

There's no explicit restriction on blade length that I know of, just a mention of a "common pocketknife" not being a weapon, and the mention of items not specifically designed to be weapons. There's a lot of subjectivity there, so if you don't have your concealed carry license, I wouldn't take any risks by carrying anything that could be construed as a weapon and not a "common pocketknife".

A fixed-blade tanto would be very hard to argue as a "common pocketknife". But, if you have your CWFL and have some way of effectively carrying it concealed, have at it.

-JT

I was thinking more in the line of a 4 inch auto, but from what you said I assume that means I need the CWFL?

I'm not about to decipher FL's knife laws, since they are so vague as to defy logic....however...

With a CWFL, you can pretty much conceal any 'weapon' you like (as defined by the statutes). Shove a Katana in your pants if it trips your switch.

Where it gets iffy is if you don't have a CWFL. Kinda hard to discern from the statutes which knives are 'weapons' and which are 'common pocket knives' (i.e., not a weapon).

Though Autos are legal in FL, I wouldn't carry one without a CWFL.

Even though I have a CWFL and normally carry some sort of auto, I'll switch that out for a small Kershaw or such if I'm going into some place where I can't carry a 'weapon'.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

I am sure that you can carry a fixed blade on your side without any cover and be fine. As far as I can tell there is no law against open carry. But when you cover it up, then you need your paper work in order.

Ray

Banned
    Cthulhu & Rvrctyrngr pretty much nailed it.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I am sure that you can carry a fixed blade on your side without any cover and be fine. As far as I can tell there is no law against open carry. But when you cover it up, then you need your paper work in order.

Ray

I would never recommend this, but if you care to try it, go ahead. Be sure to let us know when you get hassled by police, business owners, etc. I guarantee it'll happen. Repeatedly.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I would never recommend this, but if you care to try it, go ahead. Be sure to let us know when you get hassled by police, business owners, etc. I guarantee it'll happen. Repeatedly.

-JT
    I do it along with my brother. There is no law not to do it. One cop asked my brother why he has a knife on his side, and he told the leo, "The same reason your have a knife on your side!" My brother called the local police and ASKED. He was told that he could carry a machete if he wanted as long as he don't misuse it.

My brother then told the cop that he would call his bluff and told the cop to go ahead and arrest him. The cop just shook his head and walked away.

ray

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

-JT
    I wouldn't be too sure of that...I think it all depends on the situation. If you have a fixed-blade knife in a sheath on your belt while wearing a polo shirt and khakis in an office environment, then you're going to draw attention. If you're at Home Depot wearing jeans and a t-shirt with that same knife, nobody will even notice. I have openly carried a fixed-blade on several occasions and nobody has ever made an issue out of it.

This assumes that you'd be carrying a traditional fixed-blade knife in the 6" range...you likely would draw some unwanted attention if you were carrying something along the lines of a machete or a Roman gladius.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

I know of nothing in the law that prevents you from carrying an auto. Lots of people on forums have said you need a CCW to carry one, but I haven't seen a legal reference.

Be advised that most cops will take your auto away from you if get into a big enough argument to attract their attention. If you get searched, you're probably gonna lose the knife. You can try to get a receipt. Good luck with that.

I carry a Boker auto. I also carry two guns and a spare mag and a Surefire light. If I get to the point where I need the knife, I doubt the Boker will be a serious issue.
    John
    Cape Canaveral

Sposors