Thread: Sword Cane?

Sword Cane?

We've gone through discussions on edged weapons, flashlights, kubatons, etc recently so I will chance a push of the envelope and ask if anyone ever "carries" a sword cane?

I saw one from Cold Steel recently that looked like a formidable weapon with a decent blade and a body made of some fiberglass/fiber compound that would make a pretty good off hand stick. Together it made a classy walking stick, just the thing for an old man like me.
    Your most important concealed weapon is between your ears!

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, any legal positions presented are strictly my own opinion and interpretation. If looking for legal information, hire a qualified attorney.

My profession has me deal with those who are Attorneys, Lawmakers, and Law Enforcement Officers and I see and understand how the process of law works. For this reason my opinion often is biased by what I believe is realistic rather that what I truly would like to say.

Distinguished Member
    I would love to have a couple/few dozen inches of edged steel at hand in that format. However, I look weird enough as it is...carrying a cane would just scream "Hey! Look at me!" all the more.

-JT

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    i own a few canes due to an ankle injury...one of them is a sword cane just because i liked the design of the cane...the practiacality is poor as the sword is not something that can be accessed quickly due to having to unscrew the head of the cane to expose it...so i removed the sword portion and would count more on the cane as a weapon than the sword anyway...i'm no errol flynn and i'm not likely to win any swashbuckling contests...i'll stick with the club if necessary...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

I agree with Bladenbullet on the sword cane.Both sword canes I own, you have to unscrew the handle to get to the blade.One is made from a rattan sort of material and the other a hard plastic.The hard plastic is heavy and with both canes you'd be better off whacking someone about the head or face than trying to get to the sword.The blades do look impressive but something not built to take a lot of abuse.

I use a cane daily and have several sword canes. Unless you stumble on a custom made one, you'll find that the blades are cheap Indian/Pakistani steel, poorly attached and unable to take or hold a good edge.
    Take a look at: www.canemasters.com

These combat canes are very good SD weapons and can do serious damage if you want them to.
    YMMV
    Rick
    www.nassaurange.com

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

I keep a sword-umbrella in the car. Like most sword canes, it's not the most formidable weapon you could carry, but it's not bad.

just don't try to take it on a plane

AFS

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    just don't try to take it on a plane

AFS
    just curious...any problems with metal headed canes on airplanes?...ive never carried my sword cane (with sword removed) on flight...only an aluminum job...i was wondering if they would allow one with a heavy metal sculpted head onboard...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

The good sword canes I've seen only require a 1/4 turn or so access the blade. Some are just a friction fit. The nice thing is you have an edged weapon with reach in one hand and a hanbo (or nearly so) in the other.

I've been thinking of making one for myself using an oval schlager blade cut down to about 24". I don't know if serrating the blade the first 10" or so would cause problems in court if I had to use it in self defense so I'm still pondering that.

A couple of caveats. 1) If you are unfamiliar with use of a sword, leave it sheathed and just use the cane. 2) If you don't know why you want a serrated edge, how far to thrust into the torso to reach vitals, or how to inflict maximum pain for minimal damage, then you need to study the subject. 3) Never bring a knife to gun fight. 4) A good man with a staff will beat the crap out of a mediocre swordsman. Every time.

Although there are many schools of "fence" I prefer La Destreza. It's easier on my knees and because of the Inquisition, the Spanish knew the answers to #2 above.
    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Joseph Goebbels

Sposors