Florida Concealed Carry banner

Out of State Applicant

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SSS 
#1 · (Edited)
After several weeks of research, I've decided to apply for the concealed carry license in Florida instead of my home state of Texas. You guys' license is valid much longer (7 years instead of our 4 year "CHL") and the process is much cheaper to go through in Florida ($50 3 hour class instead of $200+ 8 hour class). In addition to that, my employer's main office is located in Orlando, so the entire trip will be paid for either way... That part pretty much sealed the deal for me. ;)

I'll be in town on 12/29 to take the certification course in the morning at a local range. My plans for the afternoon are to head to the Orange County Sheriff's Office to be fingerprinted, and finally the post office to get everything sent out the same day.

Judging by what I've read in this forum, it seems that the application/background check process will take at least 2 months -- probably much closer to 3 months considering some of the more recent posts.

The only possible issue I can see is related to the accuracy of whatever background check database they'll be using. I became a U.S. citizen last week, so I'm concerned that the federal government may still have me listed as a permanent resident. Would it help to include a photocopy of my citizenship certificate along with my application? Do you guys have any other tips for streamlining the process?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome SSS. You may want to include a copy of your Green Card if you still have it but the copy of your citizenship certificate should be enough.

#3 ·
My green card was surrendered to USCIS on the day of the citizenship ceremony, just before I was issued the certificate of citizenship. I'll make a copy of the certificate before I head to Orlando, and include it with my application. They don't ask for proof of citizenship, but I suppose that including it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to whining to you guys while I wait for my app to be processed... ;)

#4 ·
I agree with NK get a copy of your certificate of citizenship and mail that off with your Paperwork. I mailed mine out from the Post Office on Tradeport Drive since all the mail ends up there eventually and they are open til midnight don't know about on the 29th they might close up early that night, Sounds like you got it all together.

Heres some info on where to get the fingerprinting.

I need to get fingerprinted. How do I do it?

You can get fingerprinted at the following location:
Records Section
2500 West Colonial Drive
Entrance is at West Side of the Building

Thursdays from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. You must be signed in by 3 pm in order to be printed.

You must provide a photo ID and a fingerprint card provided to you by the company making the request for you to be fingerprinted.

The fee for the fingerprint service is $8.00 per card and must be paid in cash or money order.

If you have any further questions, you can call (407)254-7080
http://www.ocso.com/Agency/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/84/Default.aspx#fingerprints

#5 · (Edited)
OrlandoDriver: Does OCSO not do LiveScan? http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/CWCS/cwcsindex.html says that they do it at the same location you provided, but the info you pasted mentioned the actual fingerprint card.

Edit:
Oh wait, looks like they only do fingerprinting on Thursdays. I'll be in town 12/27-12/30 so I won't make it for the print day. How about Seminole or Lake County? I've looked on their sites but haven't found much information yet.

#10 ·
OrlandoDriver: Does OCSO not do LiveScan? http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/CWCS/cwcsindex.html says that they do it at the same location you provided, but the info you pasted mentioned the actual fingerprint card.
For what it's worth, the Lake County Sherriff's Office does live scan Monday through Friday. It's $5 if you're not a Lake County resident. I think the hours are 9 AM to 4:30 PM. (Be there before 4 PM if you want printed.)

Tavares isn't far from Orlando. It's where I got mine done because Thursdays are difficult for me. Call ahead to get directions.

- Str8Shooter

#7 ·
After several weeks of research, I've decided to apply for the concealed carry license in Florida instead of my home state of Texas.

I became a U.S. citizen last week, so I'm concerned that the federal government may still have me listed as a permanent resident.
In some states an out of state concealed carry license is no good for residents of that state. Do you know if that is the case for Tx?

Congratulations on the citizenship!

#8 ·
Thanks. :) Everything I've read indicates that Texas does recognize out of state concealed carry licenses for Texas residents. I've found a dozen websites that state this, and will do my best to find the specific state law that allows it.

I've called a few sheriff's offices around Orange County but haven't had much luck just yet. My biggest chance at the moment seems to be Lee County, who supposedly does fingerprinting Monday through Friday between 8 and 5, but I'll have to call the printing division tomorrow to double check since I just spoke with an operator there.

Orange County and Seminole County only do it on Thursdays. Osceola does it Tuesdays and Thursday and charges $25 for non-residents, so that may be an option as well.

Any tips you guys have about scheduling at these SOs would be greatly appreciated.

#9 ·
Electronic Finger Prints

I am in Clay county and had the electronic prints done. Yes you do have to bring the fingerprint card with you, they will fill out the info on it.

Prints are computerized onto card and transmitted for background check.

They will give you a copy also for your records. I had too have my de-done, as they could not be read by the FBI, (illegible).

It took 90 days from the day I mailed everything out, and re-submitted the prints.

Good Luck.

#11 ·
Looks like I made a typo earlier -- typed Lee County when I meant to type Lake County, like Str8Shooter suggested. Tavares is about an hour from our downtown office. I can live with that. :)

Thanks for the help, guys. I feel much more confident about going through the process now.

#13 ·
Delivered, January 05, 2009, 9:50 am, TALLAHASSEE, FL 32314

Why it took them so long is beyond me. I should've just taken the envelope with me and dropped it into a mailbox in Tallahassee on my drive home.

I guess I'll be getting my license sometime in April. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.