Florida Concealed Carry banner

Procedure for selling a gun privately??

32K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  FLSquirrelHunter 
#1 ·
Is there a form or recommended wording for a bill of sale for a face to face sale of a gun to another CCW holder? Do I record the buyers DL & CCW numbers in addition to name and address info??

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
18 in Florida for private sale, handgun or long gun.

#2 ·
Procedure:
Ask buyer if he/she is prohibited by Federal or State law from purchasing the firearm. If he/she says 'No', get the money, give the gun.

Done deal.

#6 ·
I buy and sell private guns all the time.

Get the buyers drivers license information to include address, date of birth, license number, date of expiration, have them sign the piece of paper they received that gun with that serial number on that date from you, make sure the signature matches the license, ----- put that information in a secure place and keep it as a record of sale.

No valid drivers license---------- no sale

You're good to go. Feds come knocking at the door down the road, show them the paper he signed with his information on it and tell them to have a nice day.

It's not rocket science or hard to document the private sale/purchase of a firearm. :rolleyes:

#10 ·
TitleIIToyLover said:
So, I think a mutual exchange of information is appropriate.
I have no problem with a mutual exchange of information. I can't see it any different than selling a used car, minus the "title".

#11 · (Edited)
Not sure what Mr. Buckley sees as a potential problem with getting the buyers information as I've always done when selling a firearm privately.

I had occasion to have atf contact the shop I work at relative a gun I had bought through the 4473 process. Boss looked up the serial number and told them I had bought it. They then contacted me [ which I was expecting as I had the heads up from the boss ] through the 4473 information provided and wanted to know if I still had the gun.

I told them no, it had been sold roughly a year previously. Agent found out I worked at the shop, and asked if I had the buyers name and address which I did but not at my finger tips right then on the phone. The agent gave me his name and contact information and requested I get that info to him as soon as possible.

About three hours later I retrieved the paper with the guys signature, license information and date of sale and called the agent back in Phoenix. Gave him the information and told him it came off his Az drivers license which I verified was correct at the time of sale.

Never heard back from the agent, I have no idea what the gun was involved in, it could have been stolen, used in a crime or whatever but the agent was satisfied I had the record to prove the sale of the gun and it was not in my possession.

If the buyer wants my information he is welcome to it. I've not been asked for it when selling a firearm but they may have it if they want it for their records as well. I've always taken the sellers information the same way when buying privately as well.

If the OP bought the gun from a licensed dealer, it will be traced back to him. The atf calls the shop quite often for this type of information on the 4473's we have to keep by law.

When in Mass. we filled out what was known as "blue cards". It had the buyers information and sellers information and specifics of gun make and model, date of sale etc just like the information I take presently as posted above. That card had to be turned into 1010 Comm. Ave, Division of the Sate Police Records center where it was filed away. That's how I've come to get the information I ask for before selling a gun. It was good enough for the state on a private transfer of ownership, it should be no different if I have the same information tucked safely away here with the exception I don't have to record it with a state agency.

#13 ·
curtis said:
I have a nice bill of sale form for private purchases made up. i cannot find it right now but if i do i will scan it and send it to you if you want Shadow53.
Curtis, that would be super if you can locate it, most appreciated!!

#14 ·
I could not find the form i was talking about but here is a copy of the form that i use to keep my C&R FFl license bound book to keep records of my C&R gun purchases. You can put info. for the gun on it and purchasers address, license# and other info. Hope this helps.

#15 ·
curtis said:
I could not find the form i was talking about but here is a copy of the form that i use to keep my C&R FFl license bound book to keep records of my C&R gun purchases. You can put info. for the gun on it and purchasers address, license# and other info. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I will make sure to include the info for a Bill of Sale. Selling is new to me, I usually just buy :eek: ;)

#17 ·
I only sell to CCW holders. Get a bill of sale and that's all. At least the state has checked to see if there were any past issues with the buyer. If I buy a gun privately i want a bill of sale in case it winds up being stolen at least I can give the info on the seller.

#22 ·
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I drafted a BOS for the purchase of my P3AT. It was my first PP transaction, and I wanted to cover my bum. The "covering" part was that the seller had no knowledge of unlawful possession/theft, and was the true owner of the firearm. It's on my other computer, but I'd be happy to share when I get home if anyone is interested. I'm far from a lawyer, but it was a little piece of mind for me.

#27 · (Edited)
Federal law requires that a private handgun sale occur between residents of the same state. A CWFL is available to non-residents, and a FL driver license is available to Canadians, so neither of those provide evidence of Florida residency. So now I want to see a hunting/fishing license and a CWFL; the former says whether you are resident and the latter says you were authorized to own a handgun at the time of issue. That's as close as I can get to bona fides on private sale to a stranger. It isn't just the legality; I'd feel really bad if my gun wound up in criminal hands when it could have been prevented by asking for a couple of licenses. Require paperwork? -- probably not unless it's a C&R transaction -- but I've refused to sell to someone who told me outright that he wasn't going to buy anything he had to sign for --- maybe he was just paranoid, but it was contagious enough for me to avoid selling to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.